Thursday, December 19, 2013

I'm a nurse. Really.

I love my patients.
all of them.
from the absolutely insanely mad ones...
to the normal you and me ones.
the young ones.
the old ones.
the VIP ones...
and even the quiet, I don't need anything -at least nothing I'm comfortable with asking you for, anyway... ones.

They're all so different.
and every day is a brand new day, no matter if its the 2nd or 3rd day in a row I'm taking care of them.
There is no way to predict how the NIGHT will go.
totally keeps you on your toes.
and TRUST ME... those toes are WAY TIRED after a 12+ hour shift.

Yep. Night shift nurse.
When all are normally fast asleep, we are dutifully working away, passing meds, assessing vital signs, carefully watching oxygen saturations, making sure you're breathing, not in incredible pain, and are as comfortable as possible [in the state of health you're currently in].
YOU GUYS!!!
it's been 6 months.

what the heck?
time sure is flying.
I can remember all the study guides and tests and time away from my family.
and I can say it's all been worth it.

things are changing around here constantly.
Its no longer the static - I'm in nursing school without a job and your are the sole provider of the family so we have to make this paycheck stretch as much as possible over the next 2 weeks... or 1 week... I can't remember what it was then...
It's the new normal.
and that is even changing.
We're buying a house.
and that is stressful in itself.
all the paperwork, and providing documents... GEEZ!!
can't we just be done and move in already???
[more on that later...]

We're reconciling relationships that have been struggling for the past few months...

and on that note...
how do you tell someone you want them in your life?
what needs to happen for YOU to establish the beginnings of a relationship that you know and want to be there because you are such a part of each others' lives that it's totally necessary and enjoyable.
especially when you're antisocial  a home body and know that it's what is needed but you're just not that extroverted to put it out there and say... Lets go do this, or, Come on over and we should chat...
because you really do want them in your life.
and it's easier when things are harmonious between everyone [especially when your husband tends to take things to the next level - always - and you really have no desire to go as far...]
*****

OK. now that is out there.

In the last 6 months, I've learned so much.
Nursing school & Nursing in general are 2 totally different monsters.
They say as much when you talk to people on the "outside" when you're in school, but you never really know how much until you really get out there.

For Seriously.. You are your own accountability when you are one-on-one with the patient.

It can be as "by the books" or as necessary as it is in that moment.
I've seen people put in IV's where I just cringe and want to scream.... LET ME DO IT!!! THAT IS NOT THE MOST PRACTICAL WAY!!!!
but I don't because they are much more knowledgeable than I when it comes to some things.
I've already found people that I could totally see being Mentor status to me in this short 6 months I've been a RN.
I watch and see the way some people "spoil" their patients and I want to do that!!
With so much of me, I want to spoil them.
My husband jokes because with him, I'm like...
Oh, your elbow hurts??? it's fine. I don't see anything. You will live.

And with my patients, its whole nother world.
I don't know them.
I don't know their "normals".
I can't just look at them and say, "Oh, you're not hurting" or "You'll be fine" because with a potassium level of 3.2, you're not gonna be just "fine".
I have a bigger picture with them, but again, it's just lab values.
and they teach to look at THE PATIENT instead of the numbers.

Sometimes they tell you things that you just can't repeat to anyone else... in the world.
Because they trust you implicitly.
Even after only knowing you for a few days.
And sometimes, they don't have to tell you anything, and you can correctly draw your own conclusions after seeing the same sort of thing over and over again...

In saying all of this, I guess what I'm fumbling around trying to say is...
it's been 6 months.
I'm a brand new nurse.
There is STILL so much for me to learn.
BUT... but, I'm starting to feel better with some of the things I do on a regular basis.
I want this to go on for a long, long time.

and...
I love what I do.




1 comment:

  1. Hello meen, I've been following your blog for almost 6 months now without leaving any comment so I decided to quickly say hi today, just so you know you've got a fan somewhere. LOL. Your blog makes sense to me just like http://danieluyi.com, another similarly interesting blog that I'm also a fan of.

    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

say it with a smile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...