Thursday, November 7, 2013

the one that may make your mouth water.

The twinge in my lower back is definitely there.
Threatening spasms and pain but never quite getting to that level because of all the stretching I've been fitting in.
Bending over and leaning into all the cleaning and chores makes it that much more worse for the wear.

I kept Hailee home from school today.
After only getting 4 hard, dreamless hours of sleep after working my last 12 hour night shift, I guess my body knew what it needed and saw fit to sleep through the early morning.
I chose not to rush and push Hailee through the morning tasks of eating, getting dressed, and brushing teeth because that never works out in anyone's favor.
My girl is not much for mornings.
Usually, it takes an adjustment period of at least an hour for her to fully wake up.

We started out the morning with the windows open, letting the damp fall air breeze through the house.
It was dim and overcast.
Then, all of the sudden, that nice fall air grew dense with the smell of smoke from burning.
Out the windows, smoke was hanging lazily in the tree tops.
Flecks of white ash was carried on the breeze, swirling then settling as a light dusting on everything it touched.
Come to find out, the neighbors were burning a large pile of pines and other tree branches.
Just one of the joys of living in the country - burning things.
I'm still too scared to let Roger try his hand at burning anything.
We are so surrounded by trees that it just keeps me paranoid.
Enough so that I'm never in agreement for him to light any sort of fire outside.

See, we are nestled snugly between the pines.




So many trees.

I've done dishes.
I've done laundry.
I've done the bathrooms.
Started dinner in the crock pot.
Chicken and dumplings - as a true southern mama, I have to say this is the first time I've ever tried my hand at this southern staple.
shame on me!
We'll see how it turns out.
It's set to be done once my husband steps his tired foot in the door after working long, hard hours as a plumber.
But he never complains.
He works hard for our family.

The sun keeps slipping in and out of the clouds.
This is truly South Carolina.
Mild weather - right now, it's about 75* out.
A bit warmer than I'd like it to be.
Luckily, once the sun goes down, so will the temperatures.

There is still so much to be done around here, but I'm enjoying not doing anything right now.
and Hailee picked out her own clothes today.



She likes to have a choice every day.
I try to give her one.
But when she thinks its cool to wear a beauty and the beast princess dress and a purple plastic crown to Publix, I have to put my foot down.

I made steaks for the first time - usually, grilling is Roger's thing - but I did it on the inside grill, and I'm just gonna have to tell you - they were perfect.
I got 2 of the 2 pack filet mignons from Walmart that were wrapped in bacon, marinated them in some Dale's Sauce, threw them on the grill at the highest heat - like 425* for 10 minutes on each side.
We like pink on the inside.
They were so much better than I ever expected them to turn out.
We got the grill from my baby brother and sister in law, Blair and Austin - and have REALLY put it to good use!!



Is your mouth watering?
Mine is - I want to run to the store and get more!
And that is a reason I could never be a vegetarian - I Love Steak.
it's one of my favorites ;)

I also made Orzo - a dish introduced to me by Blair [sister in law] when a few years ago, she gave me a bag of Orzo, and from then on out, it's been a weekly occurrence in our household that EVERYONE loves.




What do I do with the orzo??
Sautee it in butter until it's golden brown on med heat.
Add chicken broth - about a can.
Reduce to low and simmer with lid on - stirring occasionally - for 15 - 20 minutes.
Then, I get the "good" Parmesan cheese from the cheese kiosk thing in the grocery store and add some of that right before serving.
BLAIR!!! I bet if you tried it like this, you'd like it...

Lets stay on this same subject of mouth watering goodness:
Yesterday morning after that LONGER than life 12 hour shift, me and a couple of awesome girls I work with went to breakfast in Irmo at a small bar/hole in the wall called Cletus's Roadside Grille.
The grits were like none I've Ever put into my mouth.
If you try them, you'd probably say the same.
I think they were made out of grits, chicken stock, whipped butter and some sort of cheese blend.
The needed nothing extra added to them and I cannot wait to go back and get more.
The perfect comforting breakfast that made my insides all warm and toasty - and the drive back to Lexington that much more excruciating because I just wanted to close my eyes and go to sleep.


This week, the song I'm choosing to help prepare my heart for the beautiful Christmas season that is coming upon us...
Labor of Love.
It's one of the songs from Andrew Peterson's Behold the Lamb of God tour.
Talk about putting that one special birth story in perspective...
There's nothing like it.





1 comment:

  1. So glad that I found your Blog and being we are so far away it's nice to get to see a small glimpse of your life. You've truly grown into such a wonderful person and so proud. Keep on writing and sharing and I will most definitely be your biggest fan! <3

    ReplyDelete

say it with a smile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...