Thursday, September 12, 2013

small pearls of wisdom.

I'm a nurse.
A new nurse.
STILL, it puts a whole new spin on things.



Being that I'm a new nurse, I'm still holding on to some of the knowledge they taught me in school.
For example, a few co-workers were talking about cardiac specific enzymes after a rapid was called on a patient the other night. Troponin is one that deals with cardiac muscle involvement but they couldn't quite put their finger on the other one.
When, from across the nurses station, I called out, "CK-MB".
Creatinine Kinase - MB.
Those are cardiac markers proving that the heart muscle has taken some sort of a hit.

And Protime/INR levels - these are 2 major lab values we watch closely on our floor - being that the majority of patients are post-op from some shoulder / back / hip / knee surgery. Blood thinners are a must, because - Y'ALL!!
Blood clots don't play.

It's just there.
Still in those memory banks.
But for how much longer?

See, a wise person once told me, "If you don't use it, you lose it".
True, very true.

Anyway, along with all the fun technical knowledge comes that special ...
je ne sais quoi...
Observational knowledge that will forever change your view of certain things.

A few things:

PLEASE!!
For the love of all things good - that little bump, you know, the one that pops up, just begging your fingers to mess with it, pop it, squeeze it...
Yeah, that one.
Think twice before you do it.
I was going to grab a pic from Google and stick it on here, but I'll let you explore this one further on your own.
Go to the Google search bar and type in: Sebaceous cyst.
Bet you'll never want to pop anything again.

You see, you never know what little germs {MRSA/ VRSA, E.Coli to name a few} are hiding beneath those fingernails of yours.

Along those same lines, eye rubbing and nose picking can introduce nasty little things into places where they'll grow and multiply - RAPIDLY - making themselves right at home among YOUR mucous membranes. And once they're there, they do not want to leave - hence the whole vancomycin resistant enterococci better known as VRE. Most antibiotics just cannot touch these things.
And if you have them in your system while we are giving you care, we have to dress up from head to toe in contact isolation garb - gown/glove/sometimes mask - and it gets HOT wearing all that stuff.
No one wants those things to spread to anyone else.

And motorcycles.
{I know, completely different direction here}
when I come upon a motorist on the road, I most definitely keep my distance and give them tons of space.
And when I see one without a helmet on, I pray for them.
Immediately.
It's almost instinctual now.
The other part of our floor, when not devoted to orthopaedics, is trauma.
Trauma involves motor vehicle accidents.
Riding without a helmet = nothing good.
SINCE there is nothing protecting your body from the asphalt below, you can only imagine what skin does when it comes in contact with this rough surface at an exceedingly alarming speed.
It's enough to keep me scared.
Enough so, that no amount of convincing could ever get me on one again.
Of some of the lucky people I've seen after these accidents, it still amazes me how much damage a body can sustain from just one brush of the road.
just one fall.
for that split second of inattention - whether it's your fault or not,
that split second is all it takes.
Yep, I'm pretty satisfied with the use of all my body parts, thanks ;)

If it's wet and it's not yours, don't touch it.
If someone is nauseated, don't stand in front of them.
If YOU are nauseated, don't eat food.
Always ask questions.
When in doubt, always take another set of vitals.
Don gloves upon entering a room.
Don't just assume you'll remember something - write it down.

I'm sure I'll be imparting much more wisdom in my future days to come as a nurse.
These few things have been on my mind lately and I felt the need to get them out there.
I'm going to leave you with one last thing.

Wash. Your. Hands.
Always.
Every chance you get.

Small pearls of wisdom.
You are welcome.

4 comments:

  1. At my previous job, we were watching orientation/first day videos...one said that we should wash our hands long enough to sing the "Happy Birthday" song twice. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and THAT is definitely something to keep in good practice girl!!
      LOVE the new blog by the way.

      Delete
  2. I hope I never get VRE or MRSA in my life! If only because I know how much of a headache it is to wear isolation garb everytime you enter a room! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh I hope I never get any of those "super bugs" either!!

      Delete

say it with a smile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...