Thursday, October 13, 2011

and let the fall break begin.

We're a little more than half-way through with the semester!! [9 weeks down.. 7 more to go..]

It's been fun :) So far, I have A's in both Nutrition and Nursing 101. Hopefully I can keep them up there for the rest of the semester!! I'm all checked off on my lab skillz for the time being and pretty much caught up on all the media (DVDs and videos they require us to watch on the skillz we have to do) And let me tell you - some of those videos are gruesome!! After watching one on wound care, I had to turn off the computer because that was about all of that I could take.. I actually asked myself "are you REALLY sure you want to be a nurse???" but YES, I will do it all. whatever it takes. even if it DOES make my stomach turn..

I think once I'm in the hospital setting, working with people, THAT will take it to the next level. I'm pretty compassionate now, but [luckily!!!!!] I have lived a pretty sheltered, nice, quiet life and haven't experienced or seen a lot of the hardships people go through. One of the seniors and I were talking about how the freshmen (US) start out with only 3 clinical days this semester - and all we do is bed baths and help feed them - and how it WILL be awkward at first for both us and the patients, but she told me that with some people, you get in there and see how they've been treated and how they've been living their lives without people caring for them, and all that awkwardness goes out the window!! Instead, its like - What can I do for you? How can I do anything to help you today??

As I mentioned, Fall Break is all next week!!! From today, there are exactly 3 weeks until our clinicals start!!! Once we come back from break, school really digs in deep.
Up until now - my schedule has been:

Monday - ONLY go to school for like 2 hours if I need to practice/check off lab stuff
Tuesday - 8:00 - 12:15 classes then home for studying
Wednesday - 8:00 - 12:15 classes then home for studying
Thursday - 8:00 - 2:50 classes/lab then lab practice 3:00 - 5:00
Friday - off  no school! :)

So that's not too bad. When we go back in 2 weeks, I will be at school all day 8:00 - 6:00 some of those days, then, that 3rd week, [i don't know which day yet] I will have clinicals at the hospital - in Orangeburg - starting at 6AM!! Yes, things are getting busy. I can actually feel the anxiety just thinking about all the stuff I'm going to have to do and it's not even here yet.
But, a little anxiety is good for me. It makes me concentrate and focus more.
I know that next week is a break and I'm supposed to be TAKING a break, but with a test and 2 quizzes the week we go back, I FOR SURE will find time to study. It will be good to sleep past 5:30 AM though...

We still have a pretty full class. There are a few empty seats here and there, but for the most part, people are sticking it out. I think A LOT of people are doing really well in our classes. One of the biggest reasons for this [i think...] is because with O-C Tech, classes aren't based on a waiting list - it is a very competitive, selective process that we go through to get a seat in that class. There are a bunch of really smart people in there!! I remember one of our instructors telling us on the 1st day of school that there were over 600 other people that turned in applications and didn't get a spot in the class. I am HONORED to have been one of the 100 selected and will put forth my very best effort to do well in my classes. It's a privelege to even be able to go back to school for nursing. Without my family's support, this would be incredibly hard. [don't get me wrong, it's not easy in any way, shape or form, but it makes the biggest difference when people are behind you, rooting you on] When someone is in nursing school - it affects the whole family dynamic - everyone in the family deals with it.

There is not one person in my class that I don't like - I can get along with anyone. I haven't met EVERYONE yet, but in a class the size of this one, it's hard to talk to everyone. We help each other out and I love that about our class. Hopefully, it will continue to be that way for the next 2 years. We're going to be spending a whole lot of time together and we've already had to get pretty personal with some people (bed baths, vital signs, a whole lot of hands on lab work where we have to be each others' patients) I'm excited about learning more and spending more time with them.

GAS PRICES:
I got gas 2 days ago for $2.89 (really 2.99, but w/ my Bi-Lo bonus card, I saved 10c) passing by the very same gas station on my way home today and it was up to $3.19!!! are you kidding me? So glad I got it when I did.. maybe it will go back down before I have to get it again.

POTTY TRAINING:
We're still working on the whole potty training thing with Hailee and for the most part, she gets it, but I think sometimes she just 'forgets' and accidents happen. She's 2 and a half. It also doesn't help that she's terrified of the toilets in public places that flush automatically and about suck you into the pot whenever they do.. I feel so bad for her because she's so scared of them. I would be too if I were that little!

SINGING AND DANCING:
My child is soooooo entertaining! She sings all the time - makes up her own words, usually what she's doing at the moment - and tries to do ballet all the time! It is too cute. She has some shoes she calls her dancing shoes and whenever we play music, she wants to put them on and dance for us!! i love it! Guess we'll be enrolling her in some kind of dancing class when she gets old enough. She's still drawing too - now, her faces have arms and legs too!!


We went to the pumpkin patch with cynthia, brian and the girls last weekend and had a great time! We didn't get any pumpkins because it's still a little early and I didn't want them rotting on the porch. Ed and Elizabeth were supposed to come too, but Ed was a little under the weather - definitely next time. We went through the corn maze - wouldn't have done it if we didn't have a good navigator :) it probably took us about 45 minutes. It should have been about 3 miles, but I'm pretty sure we took a short cut somewhere. I just saw where some people got lost in a corn maze up north (?) and had to call 911... no thank you!!

 cousins
 hayride
 <3
 corn family
elephant hat from walmart hailee loves!!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with school! You are doing awesome and will finish with no problem. :) The pumpkin patch looked like a blast! I REALLY wish we could have come. I was going to bring the kids by myself, but Ed really wants to be there when they do all the "fall" traditional stuff. I don't blame him. Now this weekend he is out of town so hopefully we will make it to some kind of pumpkin patch next week. I still have to get Halloween costumes together. What is Hailee going to be? We want Jack to be a Steelers Football player and Abel to be a Football. I have to figure out how to use my sewing machine again and make Abel's costume. We will see how that goes. Haha! Hope you guys have a great week. Let me know if you want to get together sometime on your fall break. We are home all day long for the most part. You guys could come over here and play in our big backyard. Jack would LOVE to play with her. I can't wait to get them together! Just give me a call or text. If you don't hear from me right away with a text then call the house. Sometimes when I'm in the house I don't pay attention to my cell phone or I forgot it in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks!! i'm really enjoying school :) we just may come see yall next week one day!! hmmmm.. still not sure what hailee's gonna be for halloween. we want to take her to the store and let her pick it out. when we ask her, she's said - a ballerina, an elephant, and a princess?? that sounds too cute about how yall are going to dress up the boys! maybe we'll go back out to the pumpkin patch that weekend everyone is home. hailee keeps asking about the pumpkin patch.

    ReplyDelete

say it with a smile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...